Recipe: Smoked Duck Confit in Puff Pastry
Smoked Duck Confit, Raspberry Habanero Glaze in Puff Pastry
Source: Christopher J Davies
Prep Time: 2 hours
If you are looking for a different, but relatively easy appetizer to serve at your next gathering, try your skills and patience creating this savory appetizer. Duck legs are now being sold at Costco. All other ingredients are available in your grocery store.
Maple Leaf Farms Premium Duck Leg Quarters
4 T Olive Oil
4 Cloves Garlic
1 T Paprika
1 T Salt
1/2 T White Pepper
1 Jar of Primo Foods Raspberry Habanero Preserve
1 Package of Pepperidge Farms Frozen Puff Pastry Dough
1-Egg for Egg Wash
1) Marinate duck legs in olive oil with crushed garlic cloves, paprika, salt & white pepper for 1 hour in refrigerator.
2) Prepare 1 cup of smoking wood chips( Hickory or Mesquite) in water
3) Start your barbeque and heat to 400 degrees
4) Place wet wood chips in barbeque onto hot coals
5) Place rack with drip pan into grill. To minimize cleanup, add aluminum foil onto drip pan.
6) When wood chips begin a steady smoke place your duck legs onto the grill rack.
7) Cook on each side for 10 minutes.
8) Remove cooked duck legs from grill and let cool for 10 minutes.
9) Remove all eatable meat and crisp skin from the duck legs and mince into small bite size pieces
10) Place Duck Confit in mixing bowl
11) Add 3 Tablespoons of Raspberry Habanero preserve and stir meat for 3 minutes evenly blending glaze over meat.
12) Turn on your oven in the bake mode at 400 degrees.
13) Defrost frozen Puff Pastry Dough for 15 minutes.
14) Create egg wash with 1 scrambled egg and 1 T of water
15) Brush the puff pastry squares with Egg Wash and place 1/2 T of Duck Confit on each pastry square
16) Fold and seal each puff pastry
17) Place on cooking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees
SUGGESTED WINE PAIRING
Serve with a Late Harvest Chardonnay or comparable dessert wine to counteract the fat of the duck and spicy kick of the Habanero.
I paired my dish with 2006 Wolffer Estate (Hamptons) Late Harvest Chardonnay 375 ml, $37